This is a programme of forest bathing / walks in nature that journey through the senses. At the end of the session we share poems inspired by nature.
We share our experiences, what we are noticing.
Medical benefits summary
- Natural killer cells show an increase in levels after 90 mins of nature therapy.
- Saliva tests show stress hormones, adrenaline and cortisol levels are lowered.
- Trauma is reduced and the effects cascade through the body systems.
- Anxiety, depression, anger, fatigue and confusion are all reduced.
- Adiponectin is increased, increasing metabolism.
- Increases activity of the parasympathetic nervous system and decreases sympathetic nervous system.
- Improved sleep.
- Build resilience.
- Increased feelings of well-being.
Studies that have applied the Profile of Mood States have determined nature and forest experiences increase positive emotions, reducing negative mood. Some studies have reported improvements in anxiety and depression responses.
The biophilia hypothesis suggests that humans possess an innate tendency to seek connections with nature.